Tu był kiedyś młyn
» Bejsce
» Bełchów
» Borowiec
» Brzeziny
» Brzeźnica Nowa
» Chocianowice
» Cielętniki
» Działoszyn
» Dzierzgów
» Fałek
» Góra
» Grocholice
» Idzikowice
» Jeżów
» Kielce
» Kochanów
» Koniecpol
» Kotuszów
» Kuryłówka
» Lelów i Biała
» Łomża
» Łowicz
» Maluszyn
» Mosty
» Nasielsk
» Ogonowice
» Opoczno
» Pabianice
» Parzniewice
» Pilczyca
» Piła nad Czarną
» Przedbórz
» Rożenek
» Ruda Pabianicka
» Rzgów
» Sarnów
» Skierniewice
» Sulejów
» Szczawin Kośc.
» Ważne Młyny
» Włoszczowa
» Wola Kazubowa
» Wólka Jeruzalska
» Wroników
» Zgierz
Tablica na kościele w Bełchowie

province świetokrzyskie, district Kazimierz, community Bejsce, parish Bejsce - the village of Bejsce, a local parish existing since 1313, was mentioned many times by Długosz. Bejsce has a church from 1621 with graves of the Firlej family, as well as a fine manor house from the XIX century, built by Marcin Badeni. By 1827 Bejsce had 112 houses with 690 inhabitants, a school, a distillery, a brickworks and a peat quarry. Father Mieczysław Pytlewski, the parish priest, and son of Grzegorz, was buried in the local cemetery in 1917.


province Łodź, district Łowicz, community Nieborów, parish Bełchów - the village of Bełchów, on the the river Skierniewka, had its first church built before 1548. The present one was built with bricks in 1865-1867. Józef Konopacki, son of Jan and Marianna neé Straganowska, built the water-mill in 1881 and was buried in the local cemetery in 1891.


province Łódź, district Brzeziny, parish Brzeziny - a town on the river Mrożyca, dating from the XIV century. Sarnicki writing about the place in 1585 called it a spacious town, renowned for its skilled craftsmen. In the XVI century, it was the centre of the Calvinist movement. At the time of the expansion of the clothing industry in Kingdom of Poland around 1824, Brzeziny could boast of 194 master craftsmen in the clothing industry. In 1827 there were 293 houses and 3186 inhabitants, increasing by 1860 to 459 houses and 5185 inhabitants, including 2443 Jews and 682 Germans. In the second half of the XIX century there were 25 weaving factories, one steam driven mill, 88 ordinary mills and 4 operated by the water current of the river Mrożyca and named Paluchowizna, Tartak, Rudczyzna and Folusz. The parish church, first erected in 1139, was later rebuilt, losing its original austere gothic image. Romuald Feliks Pytlewski was born in Brzeziny in 1825. He was the son of Maxymiliana and his second wife, Franciszka Wesołowska.


province Łódź, community Łódź  miasto, parish Pabianice - in the XIX century a village with an inn, and today a suburb of Łodz. In 1827 there were 33 houses and 234 inhabitants, increasing 60 houses and 480 inhabitants by 1880. Once the village was part of the Widzew estate. In 1846, Eufrozyna Ignacyna Konopacka was born in Chocianowice. She was the daughter Jan and Marianna née Pęczkowska.


province Łódź, district Pajęczno, community Działoszyn, parish Działoszyn - a small town near the river Warty. This parish is first mentioned in 1411. The parish church was built in the town towards the end of XVIII century. In the XVI century a Reformed Church existed in Działoszyn. The Działoszyn Synagogue was one of the oldest in the country. Until the end of the XVI century, the Działoszyn estates belonged to the Męciński family, thereafter passing into the hands of the Myszkowski family. At the beginning of the XIX century, above the entrance gate to the palace, one could observe the following inscription One can be proud of Puławy and Tulczyn, but I am content with my Działoszyn . After the death of the last heir in 1862 the estate was split up among many smaller owners. The water mill on the river Warta belonged to the manor house, at first leased by Dominik Pytlewski and then bought by him in 1881. By the second half of the XIX century, houses in Działoszyn were brick built, the streets however un-paved and sandy. The population numbered about 4500, including 3000 Jews. At one time large amounts of wool were exported to Śląsk from here. During the snuff monopoly period, there was also a fine factory producing tobacco and cigars. Franciszka Pytlewska, daughter of Dominik and Małgorzata née  Maszczyńska was born here in 1863.


province Łódź, district Piotrków, community Rozprza, parish Milejów - a hamlet near water-mills on the river Luciąza, a tributary of the river Pilica, situated near the village of Milejów, given in the XIII century to the Cistercian Order in Sulejów. The parish of Milejów was founded in the XIII century. The present neo-Gothic church was consecrated in 1903. In 1873 Dominik Pytlewski bought the water-mill called Fałek. Wacław Konopacki, eldest son of Konstanty and Franciszka, née Pytlewska, was born here in 1885.


province Łódź, district Bełchatów, community Bełchatów, parish Grocholice - nowadays a district of Bełchatów, but in earlier times a small town on the river Rakarka. Grocholice used to belong to the religious chapter in Gniezno.  The neo-gothic church, brick built and partly rebuilt in 1898-1908, was founded in 1223 by Wincenty Nałęcz the archbishop of Gniezno. In 1445, following efforts by Zbigniew Oleśnicki, Grocholice became the town under the German Law.  An elementary school was built in 1811.  In 1827 there were 109 houses with 650 inhabitants, this increased to 170 houses and 1860 inhabitants by 1861. In the XVIII century Grocholice did not allow other faiths to flourish within its walls, hence nearby, a small settlement of Bełchatów was created by the aristocracy, allowing colonists from the West and Jews to settle within its walls. It later became an open town. Dominik Teofil Konopacki, son of Józef and Józefa née Skalska was born in Grocholice in 1855.


province Łódź, district Opoczno, community Wilków, parish Libiszów -  a village on the river Drzewiczka. Długosz mentioned this village, when it had two squires from the Rawita Family. About 1592 the local population converted to the Protestant faith. By 1844 Idzikowice had two manor farms, 44 houses and 379 inhabitants (14 Catholics), as well as a water-mill with three galleries, this being the property of Piotr Pytlewski. In 1831, Józef Teofil Pytlewski, son of Piotr and Magdalena née Kawecka was born here. The Pytlewski family in Radom can trace its beginning to Józef Teofil.


province Świętykrzyz, district Kielce - provincial town Kielce is a very old settlement, which had a church dedicated to St. Wojciech in the X century. The settlement belonged to the bishops of Kraków. In 1895 Zofia  Pytlewska, daughter of Franciszek and  Stefania née  Turowska, died here.


province Śląsk, district Częstochowa, community Koniecpol, parish Koniecpol - a town on the river Pilica. There is a brick church from early baroque period of 1633-1640. By 1827 there were 202 houses and 1399 inhabitants in Koniecpol, and this number increased to 206 houses and 2354 inhabitants by 1880. An iron works, employing 50 workers has been in existence here since the XIX century, when the community of Koniecpol could boast of 3 primary schools, 2 breweries, a brass foundry , nail making foundry, a sawmill, two water-mills and one windmill. Water-mills in Koniecpol and Chrząstow belonged to the Pytlewski family. Władysław Pytlewski, son of Hipolit and Petronela, née Szwarc was born here in 1881.


province Podkarpacie, district Leżajsk, community Kuryłówka, parish Tarnawiec - a town on the right bank of the river San. In Kuryłówka we find a Uniat Church, whilst in Tarnawiec, a suburb of Kuryłówka,  there is a Roman-Catholic church from the XIX century. In the Middle Ages these lands suffered the onslaught of invading Tartar Hordes. Tarnawiec was founded in 1568 by Zofia Odrowąż from Sprowa, widow of Jan Krzysztof Tarnowski, who named the settlement Tarnawiec in his memory. In 1749, Józef Potocki, mayor of Leżajsk, built a brick chapel, affiliated to the parish in Leżajsk. By the end of the XIX century, there were 1602 inhabitants, including 355 people living in Tarnawiec. After the partition of Poland, Kuryłówka was included in the Austrian sector. German settlers arrived in Tarnawiec in 1812. Maximilian Pytlewski, son of Tadeusz and Anna, née Sokołowska was born in Kuryłówka in 1788.


province Podlasie, district Łomża, community Łomża, parish Łomża - a town on the river Narew. Folk tales and some written evidence suggest that a parish church existed in Old Łomża up to the year 1000.  It appears that after the death of St. Wojciech, a Benedictine monk continued the work of converting Prussians to the Catholic faith and after coming to Mazowsze he founded a church in memory of St. Wawrzyniec. Łomżą acquired a towns charter in 1418, and after Mazowsze was included into the Polish Kingdom, it became a Royal Town. The town?s quick expansion in the second half of the XIX century was a consequence of being the main town of the district (gubernia) of Łomża. Included in the government estates were the milling settlement at Zambrów and the water-mill Kryska.  Łomża has three old Catholic Churches, the oldest parish church being consecrated in 1525. Aleksander Józef  Pytlewski son of Romuald-Feliks Pytlewskiego and Józefa, née Dobrowolska was born here in 1847.


province Łódź, district Radomsko, community Żytno, parish Maluszyn - a village on the river Pilica. There is a brick parish church from the XVIII century. In 1827 there were 23 houses and 262 inhabitants, increasing to 28 houses and 257 inhabitants by 1880. In the XIX century Maluszyn estate belonged to the Ostrowski family. Some fragments of the palace have survived to this day. Jan Pytlewski, son of Stanisław and Teofila, née Nodzyńska was born here in 1889.


Mosty are now in Belarus - a village on the right side of the river Niemen, where in 1890 there were 1317 inhabitants including 380 Jews. By the end of XIX there were stores of grain and an harbour of ferry boats on Niemen river. Queen Bona, wife of the King Zygmunt Stary, erected a wooden church and in 1539. In 1926 the company Konopacki Brothers built the playwood factory. In 1939 the Soviets took over the factory management. Nowadays it is named Mostodrew and is manufacturing wooden furniture.


province Łódź, district Opoczno, community Opoczno, parish Opoczno - a village on the river Drzewiczka, which used to be a royal village, was settled under German Law. Peasants paid a tithe to the Sandomierz cathedral chapter whilst the local elders paid a tithe to the priests in Opoczno. By 1880 there were 58 houses and 490 inhabitants. Sabina Pytlewska, daughter of Piotr and Magdalena Kawecka was born here in 1847.


province Łódz, district Pabianice, community Pabianice, parish Pabianice - a town on the river Dobrzynka, appearing in documents from the XVI century under the name of Pabiianicze or Pabyanycze. Pabianice is a very old settlement, established on lands belonging to the Chropy district. This settlement was donated to the cathedral chapter of Kraków by Władysław Herman. According to Długosz this was a wild and wooded place, where one saw more wild animals than people. By the middle of the XV century, however, 28 villages and 2 towns, namely Rzgów and Pabianice, sprung up. Jarosław from Skotniki founded a parish here in the second half of the XIV century. At the same time Pabiance were granted a Town's Charter under the German Law.  The present parish church was built in XVI century. After the church estates were taken over by the government, Pabianice became a government controlled town and at the beginning of the XIX century it had 700 inhabitants, a similar number to Łódź. In 1827 there were 162 houses and 963 inhabitants, rising to 517 houses and 4925 inhabitants by 1860 , including 800 Jews. The first factory producing cloth was started in 1830. Adam Konopacki, son of Jan and Marianna Pęczkowska was born 1848. In neighbouring villages Chocianowice and Ruda his sisters Anna and Eufrozyna Ignacyna Konopacki were born, daughters of Jan.

Piła near Dąbrowa on the river Czarna

province Łódź, district Piotrków, community Aleksandrów, parish Dąbrowa - A millers settlement on the river Czarna, situated amid forests which formerly belonged to the Cistercian Order in Sulejów. Following a fire of the water-mill in 1876, Franciszek Konopacki bought the settlement in 1877.  The Dąbrowa parish was in existence in 1521, but it is uncertain when that church was actually built. In 1827,the village of Dabrowa had 41 houses and 328 inhabitants, increasing by 1880 to 42 houses and 393 inhabitants, as well as a school and a distillery. Helena Konopacka, daughter of Franciszek and Anna, née Gorzeń was born in Piła in 1878.


province Łódź, district Piotrków, community Aleksandrów, parish Dąbrowa - Rozannek was a village on the river Czarna in the XVII century. In the XV century this village formed part of the parish of Skórkowice and was the property of Krzątkowski. In 1508 Rożenek village, being the property of Mikołaj Chocimir, formed part of the parish of Dąbrowa. In 1827 it had 31 houses and 205 inhabitants. By 1880 the village of Rożenek had a distillery, plantations of hops, 16  houses and 56 inhabitants, as well as a house near the mill with 13 inhabitants. Franciszek Konopacki was the owner of the Rożenek mill on the river Czarna during the years 1862-1876. Karol Bronisław Konopacki, son of Franciszek and Anna, née Gorzeń was born here in1862.


province Łódź, district East Łódź, community Rzgów, parish Rzgów - a village in the vicinity of Ner springs. Rzgów is an old settlement forming part of the Pabianice estate, and this in turn belongs to the Cathedral Chapter of Kraków. Originally it belonged to the parish of Tuszyn. In 1469 the Cathedral Chapter of Krakow built the first church in Rzgów. The present church built in 1630 in late Renaissance style, was funded by the Cathedral Chapter of Kraków. Having acquired, in 1460, the control of Rzgow and a water-mill on the river Ner from Andrzej from Pabianice, the Cathedral Chapter begun to get the town privileges. The settlement had a large number of craftsmen as well as ordinary workers. By 1552 there was a water-mill with three wheels, alias folusz. From the payroll of 1563, we see 90 craftsmen paying 4 grosze. After the Partition of Poland in 1795, Rzgów together with the estates of the Cathedral Chapter formed the royal province of Pabianice. In 1827 it had 162 houses and 997 inhabitants and by 1862 this increased to 176 houses and 1559 inhabitants. Józef Konopacki, son of Jan and Marianna Straganowska received in 1848 a diploma of a journeyman in milling.


province Łódź, district Skierniewice, community Skierniewice, parish Skierniewice - the village of Skierniewice Skierniewice existed before 1359 and belonged to the vast estates of the archbishop of Łowicz and Gnieeno. This included the archbishop's manor house with an extensive farm, a church and a seat of this vast parish, a water-mill on the river Łupia, which was first mentioned in 1388. In the second half of the XV century Skierniewice became a market village. In 1457 Archbishop Jan from Sprowa, coat of arms Odrowąż, endeavoured to locate the town in Skierniewice. This town was governed under the German Law, but modified to Polish needs. After the deaths of the last princes of western Mazowsze, namely Ziemowit VI and Władysław II, district of Rawa which administered Skierniewice, was included in 1462 into the Polish Kingdom. Local population were engaged mainly in agriculture, trade and commerce. Traders from Skierniewice sold grain, which was floated to Gdańsk. They also traded in oxen, buying them in Podole and running the animals to Germany. All buildings were made of wood, the town hall, church, as well as the archbishop's manor house. In the first half of the XVII century a crisis occurred in the development of towns and this also affected Skierniewice. The war with Sweden in 1655-1657 was the cause of the final ruination and depopulation of this district, followed by outbreak of plagues. In 1685 Skierniewice had only 600 inhabitants. Not until the second half the XVIII century was there visible development in the infrastructure of the countryside. Cloth manufacture was established which continued till 1794. First brick buildings were erected, such as the town hall.whilst archbishop Antoni Ostrowski funded a new parish church in 1791 and rebuilt the archbishop's palace. At the beginning of the XIX century, frequent wars coupled with high taxes led to the economic decline of this town. From 1815, as decided by the Congress of Vienna, Skierniewice fell under the rule of the Russians. The Town of Skierniewice was excluded from the estates of the Duchy of Łowicz, however the Tsars administered the Skierniewski manor farm, the palace and surrounding villages. The railway line Warsaw-Vienna was built in 1845, and in consequence, Skierniewice began to expand and develop once more. By 1885 there were 5700 inhabitants rising to 10500 by 1910. There were numerous factories including two brick factories, a brewery, a mechanical sawmill, a ceramic tiles factory, a comb making factory plus a large water-mill. A well known event at the Tsar's Court in 1884, was a gathering of the emperors of Russia, Germany and Austro-Hungary. For that occasion a new railway station was built which remains to this day. Władysław Konopacki, son of Dominik Teofil and Michalina, née Cicharzewska built in 1909 a steam powered mill and a house at the settlement of Konopka, which today forms part of Skierniewice.

Szczawin Kościelny

province Mazowsze, district Gostynin, community Szczawin Kościelny, in the XIX century parish Suserz - a small town, near a lake, linked to nearby river Skrwa. In 1661, Jakub Olbracht Szczawiński, provincial governor of Inowrocław and a starost in Łęczyca, founded a monastery of the Reformist Order. In 1827 this town had 40 houses and 404 inhabitants and by 1880 there was a church, a windmill and a palace. Jan Konopacki, son of Andrzej and Anna, née Jankowska, was born here in 1802.

Wola Kazubowa

province Łódź, district East Łódź, community Tuszyn, parish Tuszyn - a village where at the beginning of the XVI century both the peasants and the manor farm paid a tithe to the presbytery in Tuszyn. In 1552 this place was populated by gentry owning fairly small farms. In 1827 there were 19 houses and 89 inhabitants. In 1855 the manor Wola Kazubowa covering an area of 472 acres, was the property of Mateusz Skalski. Władysław Konopacki son Józef and Józefa née Skalska, was born in this village in 1850.


province Świetykrzyz, district Włoszczowa, community Włoszczowa, parish Włoszczowa -  this was a county town from 1867. First written mention of Włoszczowa was in 1384, but earlier traces of a fortified settlement date back to the XIII century. At the turn of the XIV and XV centuries, Queen Jadwiga decreed that Włoszczowa should pass into private hands. After 1511 Włoszczowa was acquired by Szafraniec family from Pieskowa Skała, who built a grand estate in Podzamcze. What remains to this day are parts of the moat and some foundations. This town was located in its present place in 1539 by Hieronim Szafraniec, who was granted the required royal charter. At the turn of the XVI and XVII centuries, the Calvinist movement came to Włoszczowa setting up a reformation centre there. At that time large numbers of Jews settled permanently in Włoszczowa. A parish church built in the XVII century in the baroque style is still standing to this day. During the suppression of the Kościuszko Rebellion in 1794, Russian troops plundered the town, which was later destroyed by fire. In the XIX century Włoszczowa suffered a decline and loss of the towns charter. In 1867 Włoszczowa became the civil administration centre for the district as well as the seat of the church?s jurisdiction, however municipal legal authority was reinstated only in 1919. Kazimierz Pytlewski, son of Stanisław and Teofila née Nodzyńska, was born here in 1892.


province Łódź, district Piotrkow, community Rozprza, parish Rozprza - a village on the river Luciąża, was once known as Wronikowy. According to historical records from 1409 Florian, son of the Grand Standard-Bearer of Sieradz district, was given villages Woźniki and Wroników. He had a son, Piotr by Odrowążówna, who founded the village of Gomolin and his descendants taking the name Gomoliński. According to Revenue Records of Piotrków District from 1552 village Wroników minor, in the parish of Rozprza and owned by Mirski Family and Piaszczynski had 7 settlers and 3 cultivated fields; Wroników major 7 settlrs and 4 cultivated fields. In 1827 there were 22 houses and 187 inhabitants, increasing to 17 houses and 299 inhabitants by 1880, including a water-mill belonging to the manor of Wroników. The colony of Wroników is mentioned in a wedding document, registered in 1858 between Franciszek, son of Jan Konopacki from colony of Wroników and Anna née Gorzeń from Borowiec.


province Łódź, district Piotrków, community Aleksandrów, parish Dąbrowa - a village on the river Czarna, where in 1880 there were 14 houses and 73 inhabitants. Konstanty Konopacki, son of Franciszek and Anna , née Gorzen, was born in the mill house in 1860. Jan Konopacki, great grandfather to the Piotrkow and Skierniewice branch of Konopacki family, died in 1874 in the village of Borowiec.

Brzeźnica Nowa

province Łódź, district Pajęczno, community Brzeźnica Nowa, parish Brzeźnica Nowa - the locality of Brzeźnica, situated at the cross-roads of two trade routes in Central Poland, existed as early as in the XIII century. In a document from 1265 we learn that Leszek Czarny funded a local church and recommended the building of two mills and an inn. The present neo-gothic church, made from stone, was built in the years 1902-1910. Apolonia Osmólska, wife of Franciszek Pytlewski was born in Brzeźnica in 1807.


province Śląsk, district Częstochowa, community Dąbrowa Zielona, parish Cielętniki - a village, by a nameless stream flowing towards the western part of the river Warta. Many years ago, Cielętniki formed part of the parish of Żytne, however, the Bystrzanowski family, owners of the Cielętniki estate, erected a wooden church and in 1767 succeeded in forming a new parish. In 1827 Cielętniki had 40 houses and 328 inhabitants, whilst by 1880 there were 58 houses and  474 inhabitants. In 1835, Dominik Pytlewski, son of Franciszek and Apolonia née Osmólska was born here. Dominik was to become the owner of water-mill Działoszyn on the river Warta.


province Łódź, pow Łowicz, community Nieborów, parish Bełchów - a village on the river Skierniewka. In 1827 there were 30 houses and 1211 inhabitants in the village, whilst by 1879 Dzierzgów had 48 peasants houses, two manor houses and altogether 1942 inhabitants.  Lucjan Konopacki, son of Józef and Józefa née Skalska was born at the mill on the river Skierniewka, in 1862.


province Łódź, district Brzeziny, community Jeżów, parish Jeżów - a village on the river Rawka, formed part of the parish of Jeżów as early as 1609. In 1827 there were 14 houses and 37 inhabitants, and by 1880 this number increased to 16 houses and 170 inhabitants, as well as 16 acres of land belonging to the water-mill. The parish of Jeżów has a very old XIII century church, previously used by the Benedictine Order. The first Father Superior of the Jeżów monastery ( from 1113) was the well known Polish chronicler Gall Anonim. The Jeżów Jezow settlement was once owned by the Princes of Mazowsze, but Prince Konrad I donated it to the Abbot of the Benedictine Order in Lubien in 1103, whilst Bolesław Prince of Mazowsze granted a Royal Charter in 1272 raising the status of Góra to a town. In 1827 there were 102 houses with 750 inhabitants, and by 1880 there were  96 houses with 1557 inhabitants. Two sons of Jan Konopacki were born in the village of Góra, namely Adolf, insurgent of 1863 and Władysław. In 1837 their mother Marianna, née Straganowska, died here. 


province Łódź, district Piotrków, community Wola Krzysztoporska, parish Rozprza - a village, consisting of just 18 houses in 1827 and 28 hauses by 1880. In the XIX century the Jeżów estate included a manor farm and water-mills Kisiele and Siomki. Some farm buildings from the manor estate dating back to the end of the XVIII or the first half of the XIX century, have survived to this day. A parish in Rozprza existed in the XI century. The present church was built in 1922. Antonina Konopacka daughter of Jan and Marianna, née Pęczkowska was born in Jeżów in 1856.


province Łódź, district Skierniewice, community Głuchów, parish Głuchów - a village, producing linen in the XIX century. In 1827 the village had 71 houses and  462 inhabitants. The parish church was founded in 1419, and was replaced by a brick one in 1786.  In XV century, the village of Głuchów was part of the estate of the archbishops of Gniezno, whilst from 1829 it formed part of the Crown lands of the Principality of Łowicz. The more affluent inhabitants were employed in the manufacture of linen. Głuchów estate, which belonged to the Czar, included many villages ( manor house and village of Głuchów, settlement of Kochanów etc), as well as water-mills Reczul, Gzów, Przybyszyce and Grochal. The manor house built during the years 1793-1794, has survived to this day, together with some buildings from the XIX century. Józef Konopacki, son of Jan and Marianna, née Straganowska was born 1828 in the settlement of Kochanów.


province Łódź, district Piotrków, community Aleksandrów, parish Dąbrowa - a village on the river Czarna. In 1827 there were 23 houses and 82 inhabitants, increasing 30 houses and 250 inhabitants by 1880. This village is mentioned by Długosz. In the XIX century the manor of Kotuszów (together with villages Kotuszów and Borowiec) included a water-mill and peat deposits.. In 1875, the manor farm of Borowiec was excluded from the estate. Adam Konopacki, son of Jan and Marianna, née Pęczkowska lived in Kotuszów from 1890 to 1900 and died there. Members of the Konopacki Family in Piotrków are direct descendants of Adam Konopacki from Kotuszów..

Lelów and Biała near Lelów

province Śląsk, district Częstochowa, community Lelów, parish Lelów - a town on the river Biała. Lelów is one of the oldests settlements. Fortified position, plentiful streams and surrounding impenetrable swamps led to the founding of a pre-historic settlement. Quite possibly, an early church existed here in the XIV century, the present one dating from the XVII century. Much re-building of the church has taken place since then. In the XIX century, Lelów had a primary school and an old peoples home. By 1827 there were 128 houses and 875 inhabitants; this increased to 120 houses and 1200 inhabitants by 1880. Stanisława Pelagia Pytlewska, daughter of Hipolit and Petronela , née Gajewska, was born in Biała in 1869.


province Łódź, district Łowicz, community Łowicz, parish Łowicz - a town on the river Bzura. According to folk tales, Łowicz was once a hunting lodge of the Princes of Mazowsze. It was first officially mentioned in Pope Innocent Bull from 1136 granting possession of Łowicz to the archbishops of Gniezno. In the middle of the XIV century, Jarosław from Skotniki built a magnificent castle on the elevated embankment of the river Bzura. After 1815 Łowicz found itself within the borders of the Kingdom of Congress. In 1820 Łowicz estates became the property of the Tsar, forming the Duchy of Łowicz. There are two old churches from the XII and XV centuries, but rebuilt in the XVII century. Kazimierz Konopacki, son of Józef and Józefa, née Skalska, lived and died in Łowicz in 1919 and is buried there.


province Mazowsze, district Nowydwór, community Nasielsk, parish Nasielsk - in days gone by, this town appeared in documents under different names, such as Nasilzco, Nosidlsk, Nosylsk, Nosydlsk, Nosielsk, Nosselia, Nosidlsko, Nasidlsko, Nosilsko, Nasilsko, Nasylsco. First mention of a fortified castle situated in the vicinity of a trading settlement named Nosidlsk, comes from 1065 and can be found in a document issued by king Bolesław Śmiały and addressed to the Benedictine Abbey in Mogilno. Part of the settlement called New Village was given in 1155 to the monastery in Czerwińsk, whilst the remaining part was donated in 1366 by Janusz I, a Prince of Mazowsze, to his favourite knight Janusz from Radzanów. This transfer to new ownership was accompanied by the granting of a town's charter according to Chełm Law. Nasielsk remains in this family until 1647, when it acquires a new owner, but stays in private hands until 1866. Following a fire in the town, the first brick church is built in 1445. The present parish church was built at the beginning of the XX century. In 1777 Nasielsk had 129 houses and about 774 inhabitants, whilst by 1885 this had risen to 229 houses ( 16 built from bricks), plus 9 tanneries, a vinegar plant, 2 water-mills with weirs, 2 windmills , 9 stove fitters and 12 shoemakers. Nasielsk was frequently overrun by foreign armies. In 1806 a battle was fought between the French army commanded by general Davout and Russian forces. In 1920 heavy fighting took place between Polish and Red Army forces. Leon  Pytlewski son od Aleksander  and Matylda, née  Dobrzyńska was born here in 1883.


province Łódź, district Opoczno, community Opoczno, parish Opoczno - according to Długosz Oppoczno, is a town situated at the mouth of river Węgrzynka.  The first mention of the village Opocza can be found in documents issued by Black Leszek in 1284 and addressed to the collegiate church in Sandomierz. The first parish was founded probably in the XII century. Długosz tells us that a settlement of Old Opoczno was in XV century just a Royal village . Probably at the beginning of the XIV century in the vicinity of Old Opoczno a new town came into existence. In documents issued by King Kazimierz Wielki from 1365, Opoczno was located under the średzkie Law, this being changed to the Magdeburg Law five years later. The king gave permission for the building of a water-mill on the river Drzewica, and another one for smelting ore. Opoczno acquired defensive walls, a castle which is standing to this day, new gothic church, an armoury and a manor house which in the years 1364-68 became the seat of local government , whilst in the XVI century it served as a dean?s office. In 1550 King Zygmunt August gave permission for the building of a water storage tank in the town square so that water could be piped into houses. Opoczno was completely destroyed during the war with Sweden in 1655. A census from 1660 found only 20 houses 11 tradesmen: there were no bakers or butchers in town. Towards the end of the XIX century, Opoczno has two Roman Catholic churches, one synagogue, a hospital, old people?s home, school, court, post office, 250 houses and 5500 inhabitants, several industrial premises such as a brewery , honey plant, vinegar plant, three dye works, two tanneries, two oil works , a windmill and a water-mill. Jan Dziewulski, brothers Władysław and Józef Lange opened the first factory in Poland making ceramic tiles. Florentyna Pytlewska, daughter of Piotr and Magdalena, née Kawecka was born here in 1841.


province Łódź, district Piotrków, community Wola Krzysztoporska, in XIX century parish Bogdanów - according to tax records for the district of Piotrków for the year 1533, the village of Parzniewice in the parish of Bogdanów, was divided among Wincenty, Feliks and Mikołaj Parzniowski and a Gomuliński.  The villagers paid tithes to the clergy, the manor farm paid for the upkeep of the parish priest and the peasants contributed to the archbishop's table. In 1827 Parzniewice had 19 houses and 241 inhabitants. A manor, standing to this day, once belonged to the Parzniewicki estate, which in 1871 include several neighbouring villages with a total area of 2500 acres. Elżbieta Florentyna Konopacka, daughter of Jan and Marianna Pęczkowska,a was bom here in 1850.


province Świętykrzyz, district Włoszczowa, community Kluczewsko, parish Pilczyca - in old documents, Pylczyca is described as a village on the river Czarna.  In the XVI century, the village was part of the parish of Kurzelów and it paid tithe to the curates of the collegiate church in Kurzelów. According to the tax records from 1508 Pilczyca together with Szadkowice, Konary, and Wola Dębiana all belonged to Szpot (Dunin) from Wola, who paid seven grzywny in taxes. In 1540 Pilczyca together with Brześc and Kluczewsko, formed one estate, this being the family residence of the owners, the brothers Chocimowski, sons of Andrzej, the swordbearer of Sieradz.  In those days in Pilczyca one could find an inn, a manor, two ponds and a water-mill. In 1827 there were 29 houses and 242 inhabitants. Wiktoryn Jan Pytlewski, son of Franciszek Pytlewski and Apolonia, née Osmólska was bom here in 1837 .


province Łódź, district Radomsko, community Przedbórz, parish Przedbórz - a town on the right bank of river Pilica. The first mention of Przedbórz takes place in 1145 in a document confirming the ownership and income of a monastery in Trzemeszno. In July of 1239 distinguished visitors came to this town, including Bolesław Wstydliwy and his mother and her entourage and also Konrad Mazowiecki with his son Ziemowit. In the XIV century King Kazimierz Wieiki built a fine brick castle and possibly it was he who elevated this settlement to status of a town, then he built a church and transferred a parish from adjoining Policko. In 1370 whilst hunting, Kazimierz Wieiki had an accident, which lead to the premature demise of this great king. Being situated on a trade route, Przedbórz continued to develop. King Jagiełło visited this town and rebuilt the castle. In 1405 Jagiełło changed the legal system in the town from Polish to German , thus bestowing the same laws, privileges and customs as Chęciny. According to a census from 1636, this town had 172 houses, a synagogue and three water-mills. During the reign of Jan Kazimierz the Swedish army burned down the town and caused some damage to the castle. A survey in 1660 noted only 30 houses. By the XIX century only rubble remained from the Royal Castle. The church built by King Kazimierz was destroyed by fire in 1834, but rebuilt soon afterwards. By 1827 Przedborz had 196 houses and 2535 inhabitants and by 1885 there were 283 houses (170 built from bricks) and 6600 inhabitants as well as a brewery, honey plant, oil producing plant, a spoon factory, four tanneries, a stocking factory, a brickyard, a calcareous furnace and a linen factory. The water-mill Robak formed part of the Przebórz.

Ruda Pabianicka

province Łódź, community Łódź town, parish Pabianice - in the XIX a colony, manor farm and an industrial estate on the river Ner, at present a district of Łódź.  Ruda existed at the beginning of the XVI century, no doubt as a small woodland settlement. In 1880 there were just 9 houses and 49 inhabitants, as well as a sugar factory which employed 322 workers in 1869. Anna Konopacka, daughter of Jan and Marianna, née Pęczkowska was born in Ruda in 1843.


province Łódź, district Zgierz, community Aleksandrów Łódzki, parish Dalików - a village, water-mill and two inns, mentioned in tax records of the Łęczyca district in 1576, belonged to the Sarnowski Family. At the beginning of the XVI century, the manor farm supported the presbytery in Dalików, whilst the local peasants paid a tithe to the collegiate church in Łęczyca. In 1880 this village had 21 houses and 295 inhabitants, whilst the manor farm had 11 houses and 253 inhabitants. In 1880, the water-mill on the river Bełdówka, and the peat deposits formed part of the Sarnów estate. Piotr Pytlewski,  son of Jan and Marianna, née Karpińska was born here in 1807.


province Łódź, district Piotrków, community Sulejów, parish Sulejów - a town on the river Pilica, which appeared in old documents under different names : in 1145 Sulugew, 1176 Siliow, 1178 Suleo, 1213 Sylio. This settlement centred around an old marketplace and traders passing through Pilica. In the XII century customs duty was collected from river traffic. In the XIII century, Cistercian monastery abbots achieved the transition of Sulejów to a town's status. Długosz tells us that the monastery lands and the adjoining villages were the property of a certain Racław (Rościsław) from Skarbek Family, coat of arms Abdank. He died childless in 1176, and it appears that he left his estate to the church. After Racław demise, Prince Kazimierz Sprawiedliwy collected funds to build a monastery for the newly arrived Cistercian monks from the Morimond monastery in France. Following an appeal by the monks, Pope Gregory IX took the monastery under his care and confirmed their ownership of land and rights granted by princes. This document issued by the Pope in 1229, states that the village of Milejów has a right to hunt beavers on the river Luciąża. In 1232 the Cistercian monks completed building the late Roman, monastery adjoining church . Once the town came into being, the Cistercians erected a second wooden church and created a new parish. The present brick church in a neo-gothic style was built in the period 1901-1903. Since early days, townspeople burned lime which was then floated on the river Pilica. This small town was poor and sparsely populated. First the Swedes destroyed it in 1655, then a fire in 1731 devastated this settlement. In 1795 Sulejów came under the control of Prussia, whilst the monastery came under the rule of Austria. After 1815, Sulejów becomes part of the Koło government estates. In 1827 Sulejów had 154 houses and 1201 inhabitants, increasing to 157 houses (18 made of brick) and 1747 inhabitants including 552 Jews, by 1862. Anna Gorzeń, wife of Franciszek Konopacki died in Sulejow in 1917.

Ważne Młyny

province Łódź, district Pajęczno, community Nowa Brzeźnica, parish Brzeźnica - this village, in the XIX century, was just two milling settlements on the river Warta including an inn. In 1880 the first settlement consisted of two houses 10 inhabitants and 12 acres of land, whilst the second one also had two houses, 6 inhabitants and 10 acres of land. By 1827 there were still just 2 houses but the number of inhabitants had increased to 12. Karol Pytlewski, son of Franciszek and Apolonia , née Osmólska, was born in Ważne Młyny in 1846. In 1872 Weronika Wiktoria Pytlewska , daughter of Leon, was born here.

Wólka Jeruzalska

province Łódź, district Skierniewice, community Kowiesy, parish Jeruzal - A village on the river Chojnatka, a tributary stream of Rawka. In 1578 the peasants cultivated a few acres of land. By 1827 there were 9 houses and 97 inhabitants , decreasing to 64 inhabitants by 1880. Jeruzal Parish, founded in XIII century, has a brick church built in 1798 funded by Niemirycz family. Until 1877 Jeruzal belonged to the Doleck estate. The Doleck estate included several manors, villages plus leaseholds on milling settlements, Dolecko and Gaczna. Doleck community also included the milling settlement of Ryksów. Franciszek Konopacki, son of Jan and Marianna, née Pęczkowska, was born in Wólka Jeruzalska in 1839.


province Łódź, district Zgierz, community Zgierz, parish Zgierz - in some ancient documents named as Zguyr, Sguyr, Zcgey, Shegrz, an industrial town on the river Bzura. It is believed that the name Zgierz denotes a place of burning sacrifices, a burned out clearing in a wood. First mention of Zgierz comes from a document dated 1231 written by bishop Michael from Kujawy in Zgierz village, informing us that Prince Konrad from Mazowsze spent Easter here in the company of Prince Władysław Odonicz and the Abbot Villermus of Sulejow. Zgierz was granted a town charter before 1288. It was known as a prince?s town in documents from 1318, which stated that revenue collected on behalf of the Wąchock monastery from traders taking goods through the town, will be handed over to Prince Władysław Łokietek. In 1345 Prince Władysław Dobrzański gave to Zgierz more land, including two water-mills and ponds, pasture, a castle near the river, woods, beehives, groves and meadows. The Parish of Zgierz was founded at the beginning of XIII century. The old part of the town is situated near the church on a hill. Documents from 1576 inform us that in those days, Zgierz had 17 tradesmen, 5 inns, 3 breweries , 6 market traders and 2 debt collectors as well as 37 cultivated fields (1550 acres), 91 houses with 698 inhabitants. During the war with Sweden, Zgierz suffered great war damage, with just 10 houses and 70 inhabitants remaining in the town. In 1793 Zgierz found itself under Prussian occupation . Significant economic recovery took place at the beginning of the XIX century when the governing authorities in the Kingdom of Poland provided resources to establish the textile industry. Up to 1830 Zgierz produced the largest amount of woollen cloth in the Polish Kingdom. German colonists arrived in the town, settling on the other side of river Bzura and building a new district of Nowe Miasto. Large number of weaving workshops sprang up in central Zgierz in the years 1821-1823. In 1865 Zgierz had 86 brick houses, 378 wooden structures and 10300 inhabitants. In 1901 a tram line was opened between Zgierz and Łodz. Jakub Konopacki, son of of Wojciech and Franciszka, née Sass, was born here in 1863.

Web site designed by Barbara Kłosowcz
English translation Maciej Dubenski